Exhibit: In The Spaces We Mend (Rizal Library)


Last year, my sister got invited to an exhibit by an undergraduate of Ateneo de Manila University (ADMU). My sister then shared to me the proposal to her and everything. The said proposal looked so promising! And I was so impressed of how Celline (the inviter's name) made everything! It feels like being invited to a commercial event. It was done like a pro. Hands down, Celline! πŸ™ŒπŸΌ

THE EXHIBIT PROPOSAL.

The exhibit will be showcasing "a memorial and educational exhibit about Filipino comfort women at the Ateneo de Manila University" as a project for Celline's thesis. In line with this, my sister's short film about "Bahay Na Pula" was chosen to be one of its features because it showed the story of the Malaya Lolas (Comfort Women) during the World War II. As well as the history of "Bahay Na Pula" itself.

The exhibit has started last month and will still be opened to the public until April 13, 2019 in Rizal Library inside Ateneo de Manila University.

Fast forward to the exhibit opening...

Being the non-Ateneans that we are (me, my sister and her boyfriend), it became sort of a puzzle locating the exhibit venue. But thank God for the Ateneo's security guards! They were all very kind and accommodating whenever we ask for directions. God bless them more! Hehe. After few twists and turns, we have finally arrived at the venue.

SHORT STORY: While looking for the venue, we actually passed by this area where people were wearing Filipiniana costumes. When I saw it, I told my sister and her boyfriend that, "Hindi siguro 'yan yung exhibit. Ang bongga naman, naka-Filipiniana yung mga tao. Parang masyadong formal".

Then a few seconds later, my sister has spotted Celline in that said area. Boy, I was wrong! I AM SO SHOCKED. In my head, "Grabe naman.. ang bongga nung exhibit, may pa-cater pa. Ito na ba yung nabanggit ni Donelle na snacks?!"

I was so blown away. I couldn't imagine that my sister will be invited in such event. I even teared up when I saw the Malaya Lolas in person. Huhu. I only used to hear their story when I was still in gradeschool. Now, I couldn't believe my eyes, that they were right there in front of me.. that they can still recognize my sister whom they helped in finishing her college thesis - "Bahay Na Pula". Obviously, I am indeed a proud sister. Ain't it? Good job, Donelle! πŸ‘πŸΌ




THE EXHIBIT. 

The exhibit was titled "In The Spaces We Mend".


Before going to the exhibit, my sister shared that there will be a "Bahay Na Pula" miniature/scale model in the exhibit. And when we entered the exhibit, the model scale was shining its beauty right in the middle of the venue.

Here's my sister posing beside it. :)

Graaabe.. 😱 sobrang kamukha nung Bahay Na Pula before it was deconstructed. The details were very on point! Alam mo yung parang sinalpak yung Bahay Na Pula and pinaliit lang. Graaabe, ganun yung itsura niya in person. To my fellow residents of San Ildefonso, couldn't you agree more? 😬



Nostalgia. Wishing the owners didn't decide to deconstruct Bahay Na Pula. ☹️

Of course, I had to take a picture of the name of the scale model's maker, its description and others. Grabe kasi talaga, sobrang galiiing! Nakaka-goosebumps yung galing. 


We even got lucky to have met her and compliment her personally. She's an architecture student by the way. Student pa lang siya niyan ha, paano pa once she graduates?

After admiring that beautiful Bahay Na Pula piece, it's time to look around and spot my sister's short film.

Just wowww! My sister's short film was playing non-stop on a TV screen. And we're just grateful that people bothers to watch my sister's work of art. 😬




Here's the description of my sister's short film about Bahay Na Pula. Hope you'll read it! 😬


Of course, no visit to the exhibit will ever be complete without a picture of the film maker and her brilliant work. ✨




Sharing 2 snippets from the film. 



After which, it's time to check other features of the exhibit. 

Richard Dy's "Lola" (series).



I'm amazed how Richard's photographs were showcased in such a creative way. Like in this powder table, you can already see that the photos were placed on it. You can even pull out the drawer below to see some more photos. Incredible idea, right?


Yuri Isabel Tan's "One thousand origami dresses"


I wrote my own wish and prayers for the Lolas in that cute origami dress.


Its description:


Summer Dagal's "Takipsilim" (series)




Its description:


And last but not the least.. the beautiful animated film about a grandmother that is just superb! As in my mind cannot imagine how it was done. For me, its quality is world class!

Che Tagyamon's "Lola Loleng"

Too bad I wasn't able to record some parts of it because my cellphone already died after I took these shots. Huhu.




I swear, the animated film was so impressive! ✨

It was kind of sad also that Che Tagyamon wasn't present during the exhibit. It would have been amazing to have met her and personally compliment her work. I just hope that this blog reaches her, to let her know that she's an amazing artist! πŸ‘πŸΌ

Also, I was just not able to take pictures of a certain feature of this exhibit because it's not allowed. Let me to just share what was there:

There were drawings displayed on the wall by one of the Comfort Women. She illustrated there what happened during the World War II - how they were treated by the Japanese soldiers and their families, how their hometown looks like, etc. There was even a section where some of her personal stuff are displayed, one of her clothes, her mirror and so on. And it's just so amazing how those things have been preserved that way.

END.

So there.. I gotta stop holding my breath now in amazement for this exhibit. Wala akong masabi kung hindi, ANG GALING! Ang galing nilang lahat! The artists' family and loved ones must have been very proud of them. I, for one, is indeed proud of my sister. I have always been proud of her since day 1. Kung alam niyo lang how much I've been a stage sister to her. That I think, it's so annoying already sometimes. Hahaha.

Also, if you haven't heard.. this exhibit got even featured in Inquirer and GMA News. Grabe.. look at how far their exhibit go! πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

(L-R) Yuri, Kloii, Celline, Summer, Donelle and Richard.
(c) Donelle Agudo

Donelle, Summer and Celline with the Lolas.
(c) Celline Mercado

There you go!

Before ending this blog post, let me share to you too the venue's beauty. For me, it wasn't just a library, it's a beautiful museum too! You may scroll down to see more of it. (Buti na lang, hindi bawal magpicture! Or not that I know of? Haha.)

Hi to our national hero! 




If I'm not mistaken, this is Jose Rizal's rosary which was passed to his generation and generations.

Awww. Noli and El Fili that'll always be a big part of my highschool. I remember writing a chapter summary for Noli every weekend! In a yellow pad! Hi, Sir Culala! Haha.



The library was said to be dedicated to Jose Rizal. And here's a large newspaper print of it.

And there's the mini tour of the Rizal Library ends. 😬

Hola from Donelle's fans - yours truly, her boyfriend and our woman of the hour, Donelle.

We had such an amazing time in this exhibit. I can't imagine how much time and effort (and money) were put together for this!

Thank you, Celline and to your family! Thank you, Ms. Molly (Donelle's former professor who's now a professor of Celline)! If not for your recommendation, my sister wouldn't be here in this exhibit. Thank you also to the wonderful staff of Via Mare. Parang ayaw ko na kumain noong nalaman ko na Via Mare pala yung caterer. Kung makipag-chikahan pa ko sa mga server, akala mo tropa lang. Hahaha. I enjoyed the Filipino food! Lalo na yung pandesal na may butter na may sausage! Shettt.. ang sarappp! And yung Bibingka & Puto Bumbong! Graaabe. What an early Christmas treat! Hehe.

OA mag-thank you 'no? Event ko? Haha.

And to you, thank you so much for reading! Hope I was able to share a piece of history to you. It's the last week of this exhibit and wishing you could visit it too!

Adios,
Dona

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ohayou, Japan! (Day 5)

Mother's Day Special

Elyu 2023